The Skill of Stress
This is NOT a stress management course. This is a doorway to learning the nature of physiology for true health. We believe stress is useful and inevitable. The design of this course strips away the moral failings associated with states of anxiety, depression, and overwhelm and empowers you to work with intrinsic skills like conscious breathing to use stress as the evolutionary tool that it is instead of something to 'manage'.
The Skill of Stress Approach:
READ // REGULATE // REINFORCE
READ a range of conditions in the human nervous system and how they correlate with stress. Learn to read your own breath and reactivity before learning ways to apply breath so it will always work with your unique body and needs.
REGULATE to connect your body and breath to your current environment and situational needs. Learn basic somatic tools and position options for optimal self-regulation.
REINFORCE desired response patterns to widen your overall tolerance to stress. Learn principles and skills to apply neuroplasticity to your habits and response options. Deeply reset your nervous system with Neuro Nidra* and other science-based tools. Develop your own personal practice based on intrinsic needs.
WHAT TO EXPECT
In this content-rich, user friendly course on your own time you will
• The basic neurology of stress so you have an understanding of how stress affects you and what you can do about it.
• How to read your response to a range of stressful situations because awareness is fundamental to executing your skills.
• To disrupt your habitual patterns of reactivity to stressors and read the moment more accurately so that you are reacting to the situation rather than your stories.
• Ways to tune into and trust what your breath, body and brain are telling you because your body whispers before it screams.
• What your stress Window of Tolerance is as knowing this will help you manage your stress load.
• Skills to regulate your stress response to make stress work for you, not against you.
• How to reinforce your new response patterns through the power of neuroplasticity and habit science.
Included with the Online Lecture presentations is a specially designed supplementary course handbook to support the learning process with additional information, visual aids, and room for note-taking. This 80-page handbook can be kept in digital format or can be printed and included in your home library for continuing reference.
The course also comes with 20 downloadable and printable posters employing breath, vision and body mechanics protocols designed to help you regulate your state, plus MP3 audio downloads to guide you in your at-home practice.
In total, the course represents 6-8 hours of coursework including practical portions.
SOS Students Say...
"Emily did such an amazing job and presented breath work in a manner that was so open and supportive. She taught the material but left areas available to make it yours and make it work for you, offering modifications, different breath rates and techniques. She was extremely attuned to disabilities and ensured that I was comfortable throughout the class.” ~ Rachel P.
"I just wanted to thank you for your Skill of Stress course, the information, principles and skills are golden. Your approach through the course was warming and I really appreciate that. Thank you so much." ~ Mathew H.
This is a short note to send my thanks for your wonderful Skills of Stress online course. I have just completed it and already found incredible results from the learning. The way in which you delivered the content was approachable, comprehensive and memorable (observing my retention of the course content to be high). I am based in Australia—though one day I hope to attend one of your courses in person! Many thanks" ~Sarah
The Skill of Stress Online Course is facilitated by Emily Hightower, a resilience coach who helps high performers that have experienced trauma exposure to become steady, empowered, rested and ready. You can learn more about her HERE